There is no denying that our environment is continuously changing after the Industrial Revolution. The weather is getting extreme and we are also facing challenges to cope with natural disasters that are sometimes linked with climate change. New diseases are emerging day by day due to various types of contaminants in air and water. Our food stuff is badly contaminated due to poor irrigation practices via waste water. The world is also facing industrial incidents including fires, boiler blasts, factory collapses, major spills, radioactivity accidents amongst others.
Everywhere we look, problems and risks seem to be arising and it is being increasingly difficult to cope with them.This is primarily because we are concerned with making an unprecedented rate of profit through the explotation of our natural resources rather than making a sustainable use of them.
It is the need of our time that we adopt some sustainable techniques and solutions in order to make our business responsible towards society while harmonizing them with the environment.
Cleaner production goes beyond simple pollution abatement techniques by involving active R&D into new structures, systems, equipment, processes, materials and products that are more environment friendly, sustainable and energy efficient.
The approach of adopting Cleaner Production has become necessary in the current world scenario for all type of businesses. This strategy consists of training people, providing technical assistance to industry and creating awareness campaigns amongst other tasks.
• Process, equipment, material substitution with less toxic or environment friendly alternatives.
• Design modifications in conventional pollution control systems with more sustainable options.
• Improved building structure by incorporating Green Architecture and Landscape Ecology.
• Design and layout improvements in effluent drain channels in order to mix/dilute more harmful waste water with less harmful.
• Integration of Environment (ISO 14001-2015), Energy (ISO 5001-2011), Occupational Safety & Health Management Systems (OHSAS 18001-2007) in order to make the implementation process easy.
• Incorporating a Waste Management Hierarchy that includes Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recover and Disposal will facilitate in reducing the burden to environment.
• Improvement and innovation in HVAC systems and incorporating preventive maintenance for all machinery also reduces pollution and safety risks.
• Introduction of Low Carbon Technologies and Implementing Clean Development Mechanism that will reduce Green House Gases Effect and will enable us to earn Carbon Credits.
• Incorporating Biologically Engineered Microbes for facilitation in waste degradation. This will also enable us to capture fuel gases emission for recycling purpose.
• Improvements im policy, legal and administrative frameworks at all levels and ensuring compliance of legal laws.
We at Sundar Industrial Estate are trying to promote the culture of incorporating Environment, Safety & Health by engaging industrial residents in various activities including seminars, awareness campaigns and trainings etc.
The Board has also started the auditing of Industrial Units in order to guide them for improvements in Environment, Safety & Health requirements in terms of their processes, premises, equipment and materials. We are keen in adopting proactive approach in identifying the problematic areas and suggesting sustainable solutions for the effective synchronization of economic development with environmental responsibility.
Mohsin Jamshaid is a HSE expert and a Senior Environment Officer at the Board of Management SIE.